Uniform & equipment
Initially you are advised to wear loose fitting clothes for the lessons that you attend. As you progress in your studies and decide that the SSA is for you then we would like you to build towards our official uniform which is –
- Black training or sports shoes – We train in the Manor gym, so the soles of the shoes must be suitable for indoor hall use.
- Black knee length socks – Unbranded long sports shocks are fine.
- Black knee length trousers – Made of a stretchable fabric (not jeans), these can either be knee length by design or track suit trousers can be used and the hem of each leg tucked into your long black socks.
- An SSA t-shirt – These are in the academy colours of red and black and have a stitched SSA logo on the front. They cost £8.50 and are available on request at one of our regular training sessions.
The SSA has equipment that we can loan out to new members for the various forms that we teach. As your studies progress we’d like you to start building up your own equipment, links for the items can be found on the suppliers page.
Standard kit includes
- A fencing mask with a white bib – Rated for fencing use.
- Black gloves with cuffs, rated medium to heavy
- White fencing jacket, rated to 350N or better
- Chest and/or groin protectors
- Black or dark coloured forearm protectors (historically known as a vambrace)
- Black or dark coloured chest protector (historically known as a plastron)
- Black or dark coloured neck protector (historically known as a gorget)